Friday, October 1, 2010

Module 5

I have enjoyed this module and found it to be very useful. I was already familiar with sites like itunes, youtube and teachertube but through this module I have actually learnt more about each of these. I think youtube and teachertube are both really useful not only for the students learning but also for my own. There is just so much available in each of these sites.
The digital storytelling component of this module was also really interesting. Basically a podcast is an audio file available on the internet which can then be accessed by your computer and then transferred to a MP3 player. Gone are the days when we had to use cassette recorders, cassette tapes and big chunky headphones for a listening post!! I can see that podcasts would be great to use during guided reading groups. There are many files available for download on the internet or the students could create their own podcasts using their own work. One such site that I came across was Storynory which has free audio files for children. These sites would be really useful if you were looking for a particular story to use for a unit of work or even when studying particular text types. Vodcasts are similar to podcasts except that they contain video content.  At this stage I think that I would need to spend some more time learning about vodcasts in order to see how I could utilise them in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment